- To provide all the electricity used in the entire United States, we would have to install a lot of PV modules. How much land would this take up?
a. About the entire state of Texas
b. About the entire state of Colorado
c. About the same area as is covered by our nation's roadways
d. About one-fourth the area covered by our nation's roadways.
- How much electricity did PV systems generate in 1995?
a. About 10 million kilowatt-hours
b. About 100 million kilowatt-hours
c. Nearly 800 million kilowatt-hours
d. More than 800 million kilowatt-hours.
- If you took the PV systems installed just since 1988, about how many U.S homes could they power together?
a. 10,000 homes
b. 75,000 homes
c. 150,000 homes
d. One million homes
- This same amount of electricity could power about how many homes in the developing world?
a. The same number of homes
b. Two million homes
c. Five million homes
d. Eight million homes
- Even today, PV power makes an ideal supplement to utility power. What is the main reason for this?
a. PV power is cheaper than the power the utility can produce by burning coal.
b. PV power is good for the planet.
c. PV power correlates well with the utilities' daily load patterns, because the power is available when it is needed most--during daylight hours.
d. Most utility plants are located in sunny areas.
- About how many U.S. companies are producing PV panels today?
- The most frequently seen application of PV is in consumer products, which use tiny amounts of direct current (dc) power, less than 1 watt (W). How many hand-held calculators and wrist-watches are powered by PV cells?
a. About two million
b. About one hundred million
c. More than a billion
d. About a zillion
- Why are more and more people choosing PV for remote power applications of 100 W or less?
a. PV is often cheaper than extending a utility connection to a remote location
b. PV panels are dangerous, so they must be placed in remote locations
c. PV only works when it can be located close to where the electricity is used
d. Solar panels look cool sitting off by themselves
- How many homes worldwide depend on PV to supply all of their electricity?
a. More than 1000
b. More than 100,000
c. More than 200,000
d. More than a million
- Of all the PV modules sold around the world today, who is selling the most?
c. United States
1-d, 2-c, 3-c, 4-d, 5-c, 6-c, 7-c, 8-a, 9-c, 10-c
-(U.S. Department of Energy)